RECIPE | 14.5.17 | TERIYAKI CHICKEN SALAD
- ~600 g skinless chicken breasts *can swap for salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup soy sauce *salt reduced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar / honey
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- 2-3 cups of salad greens e.g. spinach, mesclun, iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped into matchsticks *recommend using mandolin
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped into matchsticks *recommend using mandolin
- 1 spring onion, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- Dressing: 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons runny honey, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, salt and pepper
- Steamed brown rice or vermicelli noodles
- Sesame seeds
Prepare the rice or vermicelli noodles as per directions. If making rice put on the stove or in the rice cooker before you get going on the other components of the meal.
To make the salad, in a large bowl whisk together the honey, sesame oil, mustard, vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; add the cabbage, salad greens, carrots, cucumber and spring onion to the bowl and toss to combine.
For the teriyaki chicken heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan (preferably non-stick) on medium to high heat. Chop the chicken into medium chunks and add to the pan. Cook for ~ 2 minutes on each side until browned on the outside and cooked though. Then remove from the heat. While the chicken is cooking make the teriyaki sauce by adding the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar/honey, rice vinegar, and cornflour into a pot. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes, continually string, till the sauce has thickened up. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and stir through for another minute then remove from the heat.
To serve, spoon rice or vermicelli on to plates and top with chicken teriyaki. Spoon over any left over teriyaki sauce and serve with the salad on the side. Garnish with sesame seeds and a wedge of lemon (optional).