Plain flour, 1 cup
Baking powder, 2 teaspoons
Wheat bran, 1 ½ cups (or 1 cup wholemeal flour with 1/2 cup oat bran)
Ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons
Honey, ¼ cup – ½ cup
Neutral oil (light flavoured), ¼ cup
Very ripe bananas, 3 large, mashed
Natural yoghurt, ¾ cup
Lemon, zest of 1
Free-range eggs, 2
Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
Optional: 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in a pinch of salt and bran flakes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together honey/golden syrup, oil, banana, vanilla, eggs, yoghurt and baking soda until smooth.
4. Fold the flour mixture, dried fruit/blueberries into the wet mixture with a large metal spoon until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Spoon into cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and the tops are lightly golden and spring back when gently pressed.
6. Take out of oven and leave to stand for at least 5 minutes before removing from tin.
Once cooled store in an airtight container or pop in the freezer if making ahead of time.
Makes 12 muffins