- 500 g free range skinless chicken breasts
- 1.5 L chicken stock, low salt
- 1 onion (or 2 shallots), diced
- Dash of neutral oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cm fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2-3 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick)
- Lots of seasonal vegetables, shredded or julienne (e.g. carrot, cabbage, spinach, Asian greens, mushrooms, mung beans)
- 250 g dried rice noodles
- Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Handful of mint leaves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts, to garnish
- 2 spring onions, sliced to garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, lemongrass (if using), ginger, spices, sugar, fish sauce, chicken stock and chicken breasts. Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid for 15-20 minutes until chicken breasts are just cooked. *
- While the soup is cooking prep the vegetables and soak the noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes then rinse under cold water. Drain and divide the noodle as well as the vegetables between serving bowls.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts from the soup and shred into strips. Divide between bowls.
- Strain the soup through a sieve. Add extra boiling water or stock if needed. Ladle the soup into the bowls of noodles, vegetables and chicken. Top with the fresh hers, spring onion, herbs, peanuts and chili.
- Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over.*note if using mushrooms or Asian greens i add them to the soup towards the end to cook through slightly