- 500g cage free pork mince
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 can of water chestnuts, diced *can be found at Asian grocers or some supermarkets
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons salt reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Fresh chili or chili paste (optional) *i use 1 heaped teaspoon of chili paste or 1-2 small fresh chilies sliced
- 50 dumpling wrappers *either homemade or bought from an Asian grocer or some supermarkets stock them
- For the dipping sauce mix together equal parts salt reduced soy sauce and sesame oil. For an extra kick add some chili oil.
Mix together the filling ingredients with your hands. Place about a heaped teaspoon of filling in the centre of the dumpling wrapper. Rim the edge with a tiny bit of water, fold in half then press the edges together to seal them. Seal the edges by pleating them over one another. Place folded dumplings on a floured bench while you assemble the rest.
See this video for different ways to fold dumplings. My favourite is the Rose Bud (picture above) and the Twisty Rope (picture below).
In most households 50 dumplings will too much for one meal or starter. The surplus dumplings can be placed on a tray lined with baking paper in the freezer for a few hours or overnight then transferred to an airtight container or snap-lock bag. They will then be ready in the freezer for when a quick and easy dinner option is needed.
To cook, quickly fry the dumplings in a preheated frying pan (that has a lid) with a splash of sesame oil until the bottoms are nice and golden. Then pour in a approx 1 cup of hot water, place the lid over the top and leave to steam until they are cooked, ~8-10 mins if fresh and longer if cooking from frozen.
Garnish with fresh coriander or sesame seeds and serve with the dipping sauce.
for a bit more of a meal these dumplings go great with my Crunchy Slaw or in a dumpling soup.. stay tuned for this recipe x